PDA

View Full Version : Mirage lower doors

Nidrahynnad
08-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Still working on the doors. Have the lower doors hinged, latches, and gas springs. Some photos of the progress.

Sulley
09-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Keep the updates coming, looks good! BTW nice garage floor!

Jerry
02-19-2016, 12:47 AM
What is a good source for the lower door hinge? Gas spring? latch? Have a part name or number?

I have the original hinge but a new chrome one with no slop would be the way to go...

(Boating supplies sometimes work.)

Nidrahynnad
02-20-2016, 05:00 PM
I made the lower hinges out of steel strap bent into a long channel with the end tabs acting as a pivot for the door with small bolts through the tab on the door like the originals.
I purchased the gas springs from a company that has hundreds of them, specify open and closed length and weight/load capability. I will look through my records to see where and what numbers I ordered. I used smaller ones on my upper doors too. My doors may be a bit heavier than stock because they came with trim panels to match the seats.

The latches are crude but effective spring-pin gate latches from Harbor Freight as I recall. You pull the pin out and turn it 90 degrees to lock it in the open position, it springs shut when you turn it back 90 degrees.

Nidrahynnad
02-20-2016, 05:11 PM
Found the info on the gas springs
http://www.allegiscorp.com/products
The ones I used for the lower door are ACP-6820
The ones for the upper door are ACP-6220
They also sell the pivots in a variety of mountings depending on your application.

Jerry
02-23-2016, 09:01 PM
Very helpfull, thanks.
I am trying Lexus rx300 rear gas springs for the rear hatch 2003.
To open the hatch on the Mirage rear. It's looks like they are too strong so far.