PDA

View Full Version : Rear panel vents - Mirage vs M8B

Blueovalz
11-03-2014, 07:50 PM
I couldn't stand it any more and trashed the Mirage OEM rear vents (well...modified rear vents) and trashed the Mirage OEM rear vents (well...modified rear vents anyway) and replaced them (passenger side only at this time) with something that better replicates the McLaren vents.

I cut out the modified OEM vent, fabricated a new vent, but without the trim framing. To ensure the new vent was properly held in place and flush with the rear panel, I fabricated a temporary aluminum frame that was cleco'd into place to hold the new vent in the proper position while fiberglassing the vent and trim into place from the inside.

371 372 373 374

Sulley
11-05-2014, 08:38 PM
That looks good - the original were just flush with the body, I as well have often wondered how to improve this as well as the rear lights. I never cared for the Chevy van lights in the rear.

Blueovalz
11-06-2014, 01:50 AM
Yeah, the OEM Mirage has vents similar in nature to the M8 D and F, and being I can't find a straight week of time to fully commit to a final paint coat, I thought I'd go ahead and change the vents out to something that better mimicked the "B" (or C or E) vents. You can see the OEM vent in the last photo, lying on the floor. Interestingly, if you take that OEM vent, turn it upside-down, and inside out, the vent looks very similar to the actual McLaren vent.