PDA

View Full Version : Mirage build information

Slurpysi
06-09-2018, 04:06 AM
Hello all

A message from the UK

Does the Mirage have a chassis number which can be tied back to factory records, in order to ascertain the year of manufacture ?

or am i being optimistic ?!

Regards

Sharkbyte427
07-08-2018, 09:23 AM
I found My Manta Montage build tag behind the engine below the gas tank.It has a place for a serial# stamping,but is blank.That leaves me think that they just used the data from the donor chassis

slippery dave
08-18-2018, 07:07 PM
I found My Manta Montage build tag behind the engine below the gas tank.It has a place for a serial# stamping,but is blank.That leaves me think that they just used the data from the donor chassis

I have had 5 kits and non of them had numbers stamped on the frame..

Blueovalz
10-04-2018, 03:12 PM
My chassis (well, its a number, but not on the chassis) number was cast in the fiberglass front shell in the divot where the lower door hinge resided. Manta followers indicate this is a chassis number even though it was not stamped anywhere I could find, on the frame.

Slurpysi
10-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the comments

So, to summarise, when I try and register my Mirage with the UK authorities, i will struggle as they will no doubt ask me to prove the age of the car.

This was easy before when i imported a Lotus Esprit as I had the factory records to tie back to the chassis number - but not this time !

Blueovalz
10-05-2018, 10:52 AM
I admire your attempt to pass an IVA with a Manta product. Even though these were a notch up from the typical American kit-car, I can't image anything less than an incredible effort for the Mirage to pass the IVA.

Farmer
11-03-2018, 09:41 PM
The only number on mine is on a vin tag from manta and it is attached to the frame/roll bar section behind the driver's seat in the engine compartment.

slippery dave
11-04-2018, 08:03 PM
That is because Manta built your car. It was not home built.

Slurpysi
11-05-2018, 04:13 AM
I also have a vin tag attached to the frame/roll bar, beginning "14048..."

Does this mean mine is a factory built car - is there any way of translating the vin tag into the history of the car ?

My Mirage is now road legal in the UK, but am still waiting to hear if I can register it on the US title or will need further tests to be actually able to drive it, gulp...

Blueovalz
11-05-2018, 09:40 PM
Not sure I understand. "...is now road legal" implies that you are able to drive it now in the UK, so it must have passed the IVA? So what is the concern of registering it on the US title, or I guess, why would you want to?

Slurpysi
11-06-2018, 02:56 AM
Sorry, my post wasn't very clear. The car has passed its MOT test so is technically road legal.

I have imported a few cars to the UK in the last few years and have never needed an IVA test as have always been able to prove the date of manufacture / first registration, either via original paperwork or a Heritage certificate. For classic cars this has been enough evidence for the DVLA to supply by return of post a registration document and an age related registration plate.

I do not have this information for the Manta so am relying on the US title as the sole means of proving the year of manufacture. Am still waiting to hear if I will need an IVA test or not.

Blueovalz
11-06-2018, 12:00 PM
Good luck. I know from postings I've seen from folks in the UK about how infinitely detailed the IVA can be, even for a well-made kit.

Slurpysi
11-08-2018, 01:35 AM
Some good news ! I received my registration document last night, they accepted the US title and have issued a 1966 age related number - no inspection, no IVA test. So if it ever stops raining here I can go for a drive.

Does anyone know of any other UK based Mirages ?

Blueovalz
11-08-2018, 10:08 PM
Lucky lucky. I'm very surprised that this went as smoothly as it did. Cars 100 times better than the Mantas have failed the IVAs.