PDA

View Full Version : Manta Mirage Recessed headlight pods and covers

Ken Walsh
05-20-2019, 08:22 PM
All,

I pretty much hate the Mirage pop-up headlight design....

I'm considering going to recessed pods and acrylic covers. See the pic (attached) that gives detail of the potential placing. Inside the pod I would run 90mm projector units (Hella, and other makers), that would update the Manta look, to what the IMSA cars are running.

Anyone interested in joining me on this venture?

Suede
05-21-2019, 12:25 PM
hello ben working on the same thing, more of the can-am look

Farmer
05-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Where are you getting the covers from? I cant stand the pop up lights either, mine rattle around alot!

Suede
05-21-2019, 07:28 PM
Mr mark klapp makes a lot of cover for these cars ill try & find his # for U. u can vist my company web site at classicandrods.com

Ken Walsh
05-21-2019, 07:50 PM
Mr mark klapp makes a lot of cover for these cars ill try & find his # for U. u can vist my company web site at classicandrods.com

Yep..... Mark and I have talked (quite a while back) about covers for any Mirage pods we design. I hope to use him.

As for the small company in Canada that is going 'glass parts for Mantas, I believe their name is MRD Racing.....but when I google them, nothing relevant appears.....

Ken Walsh
05-22-2019, 08:12 AM
Farmer,

I had talked to a Canadian company (MRD Racing; in Ontario or Ottawa, I think) about making recessed pods for the Mirage. To do so, theyasked to borrow a Mirage nose to serve as a buck to make theparts. It would have been very $$$$ for me to crate up my car's noseand send it to Canada (and then get it returned to me), so I didn't pursue thisalternative any further.

I'm now trying to get in contact with MRD Racing again (if they stillexist). Perhaps we can work something with them. I know DavidSavage has shown interest in selling such Mirage parts via his website.

Farmer
05-22-2019, 04:34 PM
I'll do some searching for the Ontario company, I am close to Toronto and I think they were there. I thought someone from the company was on this forum at one point.

CoyoteX
05-23-2019, 11:34 AM
If they are not available anymore maybe we can help. Our company is Ontario Fiberglass Production and we are in Richmond Hill just north of Toronto. We make the Coyote bodies.

Lee71
05-23-2019, 06:08 PM
William Edison on the mantagroup had an excellent website detailing his build on the head light pods and covers. The site included the model of lighting he used and the wiring..

Farmer
05-23-2019, 09:06 PM
https://mantacars.com/Mantaregistryindex.html here is a link to his car, I sent an email to see if it works still. The site for his build is not working.

Ken Walsh
05-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Bill Edison and I are both long-term subscribers to David Savage's forum. Bill and I have talked in the past regarding his headlight pods. They were designed for the large (5-6") round headlights and therefore take quite a bit of "real estate" on the Mirage nose/wheel arch. Bill had indicated because of this, he had some interference between the headlight assembly and the tires, when the tire was in full lock. I'm looking for a design that is more compact, uses smaller assemblies, and look more "IMSA" in style.

Ken Walsh
05-24-2019, 09:25 AM
If they are not available anymore maybe we can help. Our company is Ontario Fiberglass Production and we are in Richmond Hill just north of Toronto. We make the Coyote bodies.

If I recall, CoyoteX = Joe Penko...... I hope I got that right..... If so, hi Joe!

I'm considering a new style headlight pod for use in the Mirage. To make things easier, the best fiberglass shop to do this would have ready access to a Mirage nose, or (better yet) already have one in their shop. Do you have such access to a Mirage nose?

(I thought MRD Racing did...... but I have yet to find a good contact for them..... I might just be pursuing old info....)

Ken Walsh
05-24-2019, 09:27 AM
Farmer, how far are you from Richmond Hill (just north of Toronto)?

Farmer
05-24-2019, 07:12 PM
I am about 3 hours south west of richmond hill, almost the most southern part of Canada Eh!

I have been in contact with Mr. Edison and he has kindly sent me very detailed instructions and pictures from his build if anyone is interested I can forward them to you if you send me your email address.

CoyoteX
05-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Hi Ken! Yes I am Joe and no, I do not have access to a Mirage nose.

Ken Walsh
05-25-2019, 09:59 AM
I am about 3 hours south west of richmond hill, almost the most southern part of Canada Eh!

I have been in contact with Mr. Edison and he has kindly sent me very detailed instructions and pictures from his build if anyone is interested I can forward them to you if you send me your email address.

Darn.... I wished you were closer to Richmond Hill, and willing to "loan your nose" for a good cause.....!

One other approach, that I am working with David Savage..... He has a 'glass shop he used to make the Montage pods--but the problem is (once again) getting a Montage nose to him, for him to use as a headlight buck.......... Stay tuned.......

Farmer
05-25-2019, 11:09 AM
How about a 3d scan of a mirage nose. We just did a scan of the Porsche GT3 RS rear spoiler to be 3d printed in carbon fiber. If that would help out I can see what i can do!

Jerry
06-14-2019, 07:44 PM
I am doing the same thing.
I am not lowering the lights too much though. it is not legal here.

Lee71
06-16-2019, 08:24 AM
Does Dave need Mirage nose or montage nose ? I am close to him I think in Minnesota