Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Porsche Boxster/Cayman S Transaxle/Gearbox

Porsche Boxster/Cayman S Transaxle/Gearbox

I've decided to pull my Corvair transaxle to replace with a 6 speed Boxster S gearbox. From what I've learned this is a good option for the Manta Mirage. You want to get a 2000 - 2004 model year. The S is the only one to use. Do not use a standard gearbox. The Boxster S gearbox is a G86.20 6 speed and the standard is a G86.00 5 speed. There are multiple sources for an adapter plate and everything you need to bolt the transaxle up to a small block Chevy. One positive aspect is that this gearbox does not need flipped or the ring gear flipped as the Boxster is set up as a mid engine vehicle from the factory. I've attached some pictures for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image-4.jpg   image-3.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

It looks to be a pretty good alternative. A consideration, especially in my specific case, is the height of the engine block with a non-inverted transaxle. I'm using the 930 box, and in a flipped ring-gear (non-inverted scenario), the motor would be roughly 6" higher than if the transaxle was inverted (for the same geometry of the half-shafts). In an OEM Mirage, this may be permissible, but in my case, the engine would not fit under the rear bodywork. Lowering the entire drivetrain would be an alternative in this case, but half-shaft angle and transaxle ground clearance then becomes a concern.

Obviously using an inverted system presents issues as well, such as a requirement to run a dry sump system (due to the lowered engine height) unless the entire drivetrain is raised sufficiently, which then also increases half-shaft angles. In the inverted scenario, the benefit is a lowered center of gravity for those considering every aspect of performance.
    Last edited by Blueovalz; 07-12-2014 at 12:01 AM.

Pole Position Member
    I'm running the 930, as well--but I have mine inverted. The lowest clearances I have are at the bottom of the KEP adapter, and the bottom of the oil pan. I plan on installing a Kevlar "flack jacket" skid pad under the oil pan (or maybe just a 1/8" aluminum plate) to help protect my pan.

Even with that I will have to keep a close eye out, for speed bumps, tall crickets, etc, etc, etc.

I'll have to take some measurements as I hope I didn't go down the wrong path by going with this transaxle.

Sulley;

The conversion from a Corvair to a Porsce transaxle won't be easy. The Corvair rear suspension uses the axle as the upper transverse link while the Porsche uses a separate a-arm. You need to modify your rear chassis and fabricate that part of the rear suspension.
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Neil are you saying the axle shafts are actually an integral part of the rear suspension that the Boxster doesn't share? If I did the rear modifications that Jerry did on his Mirage do you think that would work? Or would I have to graduate to say a C4 link set up?

Yes, the Corvair is different. I didn't see what Jerry did-- sorry.
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Neal - here is a link to his build. Scroll down to post #35 and you will see the rear set up.

http://mantacarsforum.com/showthread...ad-Jerry/page4

There is a lot more to do when you go from a Corvair to a Porsche transaxle. The suspension needs to have a lateral link to replace the function of the Corvair axle in the rear suspension.
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Pole Position Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manta22 View Post
    There is a lot more to do when you go from a Corvair to a Porsche transaxle. The suspension needs to have a lateral link to replace the function of the Corvair axle in the rear suspension.
    All, we might be doing the "dreaded crossing of threads" here. For more info on using a Porsche transaxle in place of a Corvair unit, you might want to check the following thread, starting around posting #55.......

http://mantacarsforum.com/showthread...d-thread-Jerry

(In the future, I'll do my best to keep my transaxle comments in the (duh) transaxle threads(!))