Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Engine Options

In my research for a potential donor engine I discovered the GM L92. This engine is a 6.2 L and was rated at 403HP and 417 lb ft torque. They have an aluminum block and heads and are less expensive to find than say an LS6. Not that I am comparing these two engines/heads but just that the L92 may be a decent budget option for some in there project.

Champion Member
    That is a good engine.

Ok here is an alternative, ... or future engine ...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...015-lmp1-entry

Pole Position Member
    Hard to get the right sound with a 3 cylinder engine...may go fast, but sound? Nothing like a V8 with a bit of cam!

It weighs 88 lbs! But what kind of mileage will it get??

Champion Member
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-12-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Champion Member
    NICE light V8 for your Manta if you have too much money:

http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/ind...nes/h1-v8-busa

Wow that would be nice in a Manta!

Champion Member
    8 stacks

https://speedmaster79.com/pce1351002...dy-system-kit/

the 3000-10000 rpm statement worries me a bit.

It's hard to beat the LS series motors. I've never been a Chevy guy in regards to motors, but the LS2 I'm currently running is awesome. With relatively little work (cam/headers/induction/springs), I've increased the output to almost 500 HP, with nearly the same torque numbers. They are very responsive to aftermarket equipment for initial improvements. It's very light, and short, and the electronic controls (I was hard-core old school with distributor/carb bias) are so easy once that is figured out, even for an old dog like me.

In regards to the relatively high RPM range for the SpeedMaster ITBs, this is probably pretty telling. With bore sizes at 50mm, and with the short stacks, and assuming a 350 CID displacement, this range is pretty reasonable. Even though the McLarens had huge diameter throttle bodies, they also had huge displacements, AND, long injector stacks. When I did the math for my injector stacks, even though the stack themselves was relatively large (60mm, but the throttle bodies are only 48mm), their runner lengths (from valve head to the top of the stack) needed to be about 19" for the RPM/Torque I was looking for. My redline is 6800, but the engine pulls really strong up to that limit, which causes many inadvertent hits on the limiter. Perhaps the 48mm throttle bodies flow better than I expected with the stock "243" heads.

I also noticed the linkage for this system appears to promote a very quick initial opening of the ITBs, which I would also be concerned about. I went to a lot of trouble to have mine as progressive as possible, with the initial opening being very slow, but increasing the rate as it is opened. This progressive opening promotes very smooth throttle response.
    Last edited by Blueovalz; 08-29-2016 at 10:14 AM.