Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Options

Pole Position Member
    Guys..... something else to consider. Edelbrock is now selling a "plenum manifold" that can be adopted to various GM engines. In my case, I purchased their "mid-rise" plenum, which consisted of the base and upper plenum. (The base was designed to bolt to an existing "two x four-barrel" manifold. I machined 1" thick spacers that I placed between the manifold and the Edelbrock base, and then bolted on the upper plenum. The volume of the plenum was a good match for my engine displacement, and permitted use of either stock or aftermarket GM throttle bodies. I now need to plumb the "cold side" between the intercoolers and the throttle body. (All this permitted me to get away from my older sheet metal plenum, which I thought was ugly.) Pics attached of the new set-up. I've been both a Blue Oval and Bow-Tie fan, and you really can't beat a small block Chev for the light weight of the Mirage, and for the engine output--either NA or turbocharged....(!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15-09-22_04.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15-09-22_02.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15-09-22_01.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	741

Rookie Member
    i am looking at a manta mirage with a ford 351c engine mated to a pantera transaxle setup is this a good setup or wold i be better stroking the 351c ford motor up some anyone with experience and advice on this please reply back ok thank you

Robbie,

The Pantera set-up is a good combination. A smartly built Cleveland motor will be plenty for our cars. It's old technology, but the motors were pretty strong, but a little heavy compared to the Windsor brother. It's a heck of a lot better than the Corvair transaxle alternative.

Terry

Rookie Member
    terry can i ask your advice or opinion the engine smokes a little and probably needs rebuilt should i go with a 351c stroked to 393 putting out 593 hp or go with a chevy 350 and do a conversion setup with the pantera transaxle am newbie at this is why i am asking thank yo or answering my earlier question it was greatly appreciated
    Last edited by robbie56; 10-18-2018 at 09:31 AM. Reason: wanted to include persons name

Aside from the obvious (350 CID vs 393 CID), it would really be a final expense decision. If the adapter pieces and SBC cost less than rebuilding the Cleveland, then you've got to weigh the lower HP to the cheaper cost. I've done the 393 thing with my 351 Windsor, but also had the AFR 225 (?) CFM heads and nice cam, and it was a monster (great rod length to stroke ratio using the longer rods from the kit). Make sure the ZF transaxle is up to the task of the added torque, and review some of this transaxle's issues on the web. It's a great transaxle, but be informed and prepared, so that it will provide trouble-free service.

Rookie Member
    hi terry i just learned that 351 cleveland and 351 windsor are kin and bolt the same imagine that why didn't you keep the windsor version on yours can i ask am curiousmy luck has always been with fords not to lucky with chevy cars lol

Robbie,

This was on a 240Z that I built just prior to building the McLaren replica. I had a Windsor block, and chose to use it because my other SBF ancillary parts (heads, headers, pumps, and a few other things) interchange within the Windsor family. The Cleveland is a little different.

In regards to the LS2 motor in the Manta? The LS motor design is probably the best designed, affordable engine I have ever seen. It's light-weight, nearly bullet-proof (you wouldn't believe what it has survived), and has an incredible aftermarket support structure. Plus, it only takes a relatively small amount of money to get 500 HP. You might want to consider that in your options as well.