Thread: Only Manta Mirage in New Zealand?

Pole Position Member

Only Manta Mirage in New Zealand?

In 2005 we imported what we believe to be the only Manta Mirage in New Zealand. New Zealand has a lot of Montages as a copy (from a Montage body) was made locally. Unfortunately, due to financial circumstances, we couldn't hold on to the Mirage for too long. It had pin-striping by Shakey-Jake, which the new owner promptly painted over!

Pole Position Member
    [URL=http://s633.photobucket.com/user/prw007/media/Manta%20Mirage/DSC01695.jpg.html][IMG]

Pole Position Member

Pole Position Member

That car must have turned a lot of heads! Interesting I noticed what looks like a VIN plate from Manta Cars. Mine does not have that. I have something that was installed when my car was registered in CA. I wonder if mine was to have a similar stamped VIN plate? That's what I think is great about this site is that when you post a picture or information you don't know how some other owner might be able to benefit or learn from it!

Pinstriping

Oh, no! The new owner painted over the Shaky Jake pinstriping? Arrrgggghhhhh.... he just seriously reduced the value of that car. Shakey Jake pinstriping is a valuable addition to any vehicle.

BTW, that design is similar but not identical to the striping on the original Mata Cars showroom Mirage "MANTA 2".

"Shaky Jake" was the nickname of Chuck Babbitt, a very famous pinstriper who worked in Southern California in the '70s & '80s. He died of cancer in 1991. His work was highly regarded by his peers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manta 2 Pinstripe-a.jpg   Manta 2 Rear.jpg  
    Last edited by Manta22; 08-29-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

It's like he just lost a famous autographed piece of art!

Pole Position Member
    Sorry. Everything got caught up in the Photobucket fiasco.