Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manta Mirage Upper Doors

Manta Mirage Upper Doors

Here are the pictures of my upper doors. The center bar is hinged to both doors so the 2 doors and the center bar are all connected as 1 piece. I've taken pictures of the hinge system. The front has a key that operates a locking mechanism on the interior side of the doors. The Center beam has 2 pins which slide into 2 holed above the rear window and then the front of the center beam comes down against the windshield header and a small plate is fastened with 2 quick release bolts that secure the front of the center beam to the windshield frame.

Let me know if you need any other close up or other angles on this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1-16.jpg   photo 1-17.jpg   photo 2-16.jpg   photo 2-17.jpg   photo 4-6.jpg  

photo 3-9.jpg   photo 3-10.jpg   photo 5-4.jpg  

Pole Position Member
    Thanks for the detailed photos. The system that holds the upper doors open is just like the sketch in the Mirage Assembly manual, but your photos show it so much better. I like the attachment at the windshield, I will try to duplicate it on my car. Hinges look like a modification of what the assembly manual shows. I may have to work out something different as the hinge tabs on my doors do not align with the notches in the center panel.

I am looking at something similar to what you use to latch the upper doors, but I was thinking below the window...I like your system as there is more room above the window for hardware.

Thanks for the quick reply

Dan

Hey no problem let me know if you need any other images. Post up how your project goes would like to see it. I have a good friend in Naples, maybe when I come down I can see your project.

Rookie Member
    Awesome pics and the best I've seen on the web anywhere - Thanks for sharing those.

Cheers - Jim

Newbie here - making a GullWing C3 Corvette - I must be MAD!

Welcome Phantomjock! Hopefully if any Manta Mirage owner ever needs to see an example of the gullwing door hinge here is a version for them.

Rookie Member
    Sulley - Thanks for the welcome.
    I've been scouring eBay and all sources I can think of.
    I did get a great deal on an Autoloc Gullwing Kit off eBay a while back - may adapt those - like I did that for the flip up rear clip I've built.
    I'll come up some approach and share here.
    Cheers - Jim

Administrator
    My car actually was set up with pneumatic openers. I have an air pump and tank and the lower and upper doors were set up with a pneumatic actuator and when you hit a button the doors would automatically pop open. The upper system has been removed but the lower system is still in place and works.

Pole Position Member
    That would be something to see! Can you post some photos or even a video?

Dan

Pole Position Member
    Thanks to Sulley for posting his photos of his upper door hinge and latch mechanism. Any other Mirages out there with upper doors that have a different latching mechanism?
    I have mine hinged and have mounted gas struts to hold them open.
    Looking for a way to latch mine so they can be opened from inside as well as outside the car. Sulley's looks like you need a key to open them from the outside, but a handle opens them from the inside with latching at both front and rear. I don't really need to lock the doors, just hold them closed.

Thanks in advance...Dan

I have a video clip but have not loaded on Youtube. I can always email it to you.