Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Deadoner

Sound Deadoner

Has anyone used any particular sound/heat insulator that you have been happy with on your Manta?

Pole Position Member
    I purchased some of the Eastwood foil faced self-stick stuff for the firewall on my MIrage. I used it in my Corvette and it was easy to apply, cuts with scissors, makes a difference on heat transfer, not sure it does much for sound though. Haven't done my Mirage firewall yet since I need to get the car painted before I start doing detail work.

Dan

Dan,

Silly question for this type of product, but I assume the engine heat does not soften the PSA to the point that it falls off the surface? I have a hard time imagining any PSA adhesive working well in an engine bay environment. So, what has your experience been?

Pole Position Member
    Haven't had it on the Mirage yet. I used it under dash and front floor on my '66 Corvette. There is a layer of fiberglass between it and the heat on the Corvette.

I am hopeful on the Mirage, but was concerned about the heat. I should go back and see what Eastwood says about it.

Dan

Pole Position Member
    OOPs

Just checked on Eastwood. The pieces I was going to use have a max "service temp" of 140 degrees F...also not to be used on overhead surfaces like roof inner or hood inner (likely will fall off). They do have a good assortment of other products for heat insulation.

Thanks for asking, I will find another use for it on another toy.

Dan

If you find something please post a link here.

Pole Position Member
    http://www.eastwood.com/dei-floor-tu...8-7-sq-ft.html

Here is a material from Eastwood made by DEI...not inexpensive and not very large. Adhesive will hold
    to 450 deg F and face will stand much higher temps. I might consider this for the back side of the tail over the headers (even though my headers are heat wrapped). Not likely I would try to apply it to the firewall. The Lizardskin spray on ceramic product might be a solution, but not able to connect with the tech assistance people yet.

Dan

How do you think this differs from Dynamat? I mean do they have different applications where you would use them?

I believe the Dynamat is more effective at sound deadening than for its thermal barrier characteristics. Plus, Dynamat is heavier relatively speaking. Basically, it is similar to that compound that was laid inside of cars in the 60's and 70's to isolate the interior (only lighter and better at thermal issues because of the aluminum backing). I believe the other product on the other hand is a better thermal barrier, but less so in acoustic qualities.

Champion Member
    Lizzard skin is a spray on, I have not ever used it.