Thread: Painted a door today to see if the orange looks "right" for my McLaren look-alike

Painted a door today to see if the orange looks "right" for my McLaren look-alike

The photo is a bit darker than the in-person color. It's actually a tiny bit more yellow than this photo indicates. I'm happy with the color and will use it to finish the car.

Pole Position Member
    Wow I like that color! Is is a production color or a special mix? Care to share what you used?

Thanks
    Dan

It's a derivative of a Fiat color 519A. I believe (a 2011-2013 color in the book). I may screw this up, but it's called Arancio Narciso. Anyway, it is comprised of three colors, the largest portion of which is a plain orange with some red, and a tiny amount of white. It was too "red" for me, so I had the shop cut down the red by 50% (replaced with orange), and this was what resulted.
    Last edited by Blueovalz; 08-18-2014 at 06:45 AM.

With different monitors the colors may look different too. I think from what I'm seeing it looks great!

What is your background? How did you learn to fabricate so well?

One baby step at a time. Make a scoop...learn...make a hood with a scoop...learn...make a body...learn. Make 3 pieces for every piece you will actually use...learn. I've been building things since a child (RC aircraft - old style, not your plastic and Styrofoam wonders of today- and Tesla coils for example), put some common sense and engineering education behind that, and the only limit becomes space, money, and a spouse's patience (but not in that order). Fortunately, this is a hobby, and not a means of making a living, which is why I enjoy it so much. I currently work for a Regional Transmission Organization with the goal of preventing future wide-spread blackouts with our member utilities.

Interesting background. I would think the order would be spouse - money - space....

For you guys that choose to paint your own projects, or larger pieces for them, I've found you just about can't beat fabricating painting props out of PVC pipe. I build these to hold the piece at a comfortable height above ground for 360 degree painting (over and under as well).

With the odd shape of the doors, a flat table was impractical for sanding, and unusable for painting. So, in about an hour I built the PVC pipe props. They aren't rigid enough to do any real work on them, but they suffice well enough to do any finish pin-hole filling, sanding, priming, and painting. Then they can be quickly cut up and thrown away without much fuss or lost money. Extremely light weight, so moving them around is a breeze. The bottom prop with the orange paint was the door prop.

This was a PVC pipe paint booth that I used to paint my previous project. No overspray, and not trash anywhere, and all cleaned up in a couple of hours.

Last edited by Blueovalz; 08-26-2014 at 10:52 PM.

That is a nice set up. I like how you changed the instrument pod. Any details you can put in the interior forums on how you did this and what instrumentation you are going to use?