Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage (Re)build thread - Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Adjustable like this:

There are options on what you want to do. Easyer wheel alignment.

So this would just bolt through the frame for the lower control arm position?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I didn't like this mount, so I milled another pair out of steel ...
    If I missed it in the prior post my apologies but what or how did you source the lower mounts? You seem to be making fast progress on this.

Jerry where did you say you were from? Under MyProfile you can edit all your personal info and put a personal image in your avatar if you want.

Jerry on the front are you using a stock Mustang II front spindle or did you do a drop spindle or something else?

Champion Member
    The Corvair trailing arms have a round disc welded on the old spring perch area. The disc is 1/4 steel 3" in diameter and welded on top and inside. The mount is steel milled out of a solid block. I could go with this or use this mount as a fixture to align two normal tab mounts that would look very conventional but really not be stronger. About the same.

Trying to build strong, and suggestions are always appreciated.

My upper A-Arms are stock width (track), and the spindles are stock, not dropped.
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-30-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Champion Member
    Brakes ... I need some brakes now ... researching how I can get the right diameter discs front and rear.

11.5" rear 88 vette, front should then be 12 or 12.5 ....

I think I had an rc car that looked like this ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by Jerry; 09-02-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Pole Position Member
    Hey, guys, I've been unable to fully open your Thumbnail pics, so maybe I'm in error, here----are you intending to place an "inward load" on your half-shafts, and do you have a transaxle designed for that sort of loading? The Corvair diff was, so a upper "radius rod" was not needed. On my Porsche 930 transaxle, the diff case is NOT designed to handle any inward loading on the axles, and effectively needed an upper and lower radius rod (each one, from the suspension hub/upright to the upper and lower portion of the chassis. I don't know about the Boxster configuration (can't open the pics and drawings above), so you might have the same situation. Please check out the pics of my rear suspension (mid-gen Corvette hubs, brakes, flanges; fabbed Corvette half-shafts, machined shaft-to-differential-flange adapters, and the FIVE radius rods). Two rods go forward to the chassis behind the fuel tanks; one is above the half-shaft, another is below the half-shaft, and a rear radius rod controls rear track tow-in/out. It's been roadworthy over 150 MPH, so I'm comfortable with this design. (Nice, too, to have the stock Corvette brakes, bearing, and parking brake set-up.

Attachment 294 Attachment 295

Hey Ken - are you logged in when you try to open the thumbnail pics? Also your attachments did not seem to work. I'd delete these and click on the paper clip which should take you to where you can upload images from your computer.

Pole Position Member
    I was logged on, when I tried to "open" the Thumbnails. I saw the small Thumbnail pic, clicked on it, but never got the larger image opened.

I'm trying to send my pics again, as attachments to this..... Please let me know if you can view them..........
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chassis4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	312 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kw9.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	314 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kw7.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	313

I see three thumbnails, and all three are visible in a larger image when clicked on.

Champion Member
    Ken,
    Those pictures can't be a Manta, I think by mistake you posted formula 1 car pix. (kidding).
    Nice work. My car is going to use the Corvair X-axle. I am going to use new heavy duty u-joints because you don't want to see what happens to the wheel alignment if you break one.