Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pole Position Member

Mirage interior fitting

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34 int gages 1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	311Mirage with factory interior, new gauges from Speedut, GM column and removable wheel. Test fitting everything before blowing it apart for paint.

Is that another Mirage body in this picture?
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Pole Position Member
    Neil

This was an earlier photo when I still had the original orange nose on the car. It was originally gelcoat red, then primed and painted black, then primed again and paiinted orange. Stress cracks in the body from not being properly mounted, as well as paint cracks from all the layers. I am in the process of installing new nose, tail, and upper doors from a second Mirage I found in the spring. Those parts are in white (original gelcoat, uncut). When I am finished fitting everything, I will take it apart for paint.

Dan

Dan;

You are fortunate to have found that second one. I thought I was the only one who had two Mirages.
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Pole Position Member
    Neil
    Not sure my wife would agree on the fortunate part!
    I think there is another guy on the Yahoo Group (David Savage's forum) that has at least 2 Mirages. Ralphsrodger is his forum name. He worked with Alan Auto Glass to get the windshields made out of China as I recall.

Maybe there is a way to compare notes via email on the 2 cars I have...

Dan

Dan;

Most of the info on my Mirages haven been posted.

BTW, my late wife Ella was the administrative assistant to one of the Rosen brothers who built Cape Coral. The history of Cape Coral development and their Gulf- American Corporation that is on the internet is wrong.
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Interesting a different color rear section.

When you say a 'GM Column' out of what?

Pole Position Member
    Rear section (orange) is original to this car. Was gelcoat red, then primed and painted black, then primed and painted orange. I started to strip the nose, but then found the second Mirage in original gelcoat white, no cut body, no stress cracks. I am in the process of using the new white nose, tail, and upper doors. The orange pieces are being transferred to the second car and will be sold as a roller. I bought the second car all in parts this spring. Brought it home in a 16 foot box truck and began assembling the suspension, transaxle, wheels and tires, and body panels that I will not be using.

The body panels on the "keeper" car will be disassembled when I get everything fit and functioning properly, then I will get it painted and re-assemble it.

GM column, not sure what car. Likely a mid-'70's. It is a tilt column, igntion switch is on the column with steering lock, has turn signals and dimmer stalk also on column, as well as a hazard lights button. Bottom of GM steering shaft was modified to connect to VW Karmann Ghia steering gear via a "rag joint". It is also a collapsing column and has shear mounts to the Manta chassis in case of impact.

When I got the car, the column was mounted to a support which was fiberglassed to the nose of the body. I removed it and mounted it to the chassis via a cross-car support. Now I can test drive the car without the body, and make adjustments and repairs before I put the body on.

There are separate photo albums under my profile that show both cars separately.

Dan