Thread: Aluminum dash with SpeedHut gauges.

Aluminum dash with SpeedHut gauges.

The dash is a completely separate structure from the chassis or the bodywork. It is made from a combination of 1", 3/4", and 1/2" square tubing that has an aluminum sheet riveted to the front to make it twist resistant, and then this structure is firmly bolted onto the chassis framing. The gauges are programmable, as well as having limit warning LEDs built into the face. The green lights are turn signal indicators, the red is a "12 vdc hot" indicator, meaning the master switch has been turned on, and the white is the headlight indicator. These will probably be changed to a different configuration in the future, but this is how it stands today. All switches for the various electrical stuff is on the left side under the lower door (not visible in the photo). Also not visible, is a rear-view camera display under the door (to keep it in the shadow of the door), for backing up, and to be used as a rear-view mirror until I can decide what mirror arrangement I want.

Last edited by Blueovalz; 10-18-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Champion Member
    The back up display is not really period correct for this car too, so hiding it is good. :-)

Your Mirage is so much closer to a Mclaren, everytime I look at it now, it truly is a MIRAGE !!!

Thanks Jerry. I see lots and lots of stuff on this car that deviates quite a bit from the McLaren (visually on the body), and I won't even go there on the mechanicals. But for those familiar with the McLarens, I hope this car will perhaps bring back positive memories (and not be seen as laughable representation). For those that don't know anything about Can Am (other than the ATV connection, and other miss-uses of the term), I hope this car instills some kind of excitement and motivation to learn more about the cars and the series. It's a decent compromise between time and money spent thus far, and a reasonable street-driven representation of an old race car from an awesome racing history. Had I started this 20 years ago, it would have certainly ended up being much closer to the original than this one is. This is my last major car project, and hopefully I can return to working on the house and yard soon.

The house and yard won't be nearly as much fun, Terry.
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Is this dash layout similar to the original M8?

No where near, as is much of the rest of the car. I've promoted a few personal touches on the car (dash for example), so in the end it is representative, but not replicative of the M8. I don't think I've lost much in doing so, considering its wide departure from the original (Mirage or M8 both).

With so much going on, I inserted a few more gauges that lets me know where the problems are without a lot of guessing.