Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Car Debate

Track Car Debate

I might be opening a can of worms here but I have a C6 Z06 I use for track days. Besides seats, brakes, basics it is stock. For the money, I don't think I can build the Manta Mirage of mine to ever do better lap times than the Z06. The technology in the Z06 for the money (I paid $37,500) I don't think for the same money I could build (or have built I'm not a fabricator) where it would run a quicker lap (Road Atlanta). The Vette has the LS7, 6 speed, anti lock, traction control, etc and out of the box makes a great track car. I think with what I paid to buy my Manta Mirage and the cost to build it to the level where it would run a faster lap it would take $100k in total budget to get it there.

What is everyone's thoughts on this debate?

Pole Position Member
    The Manta has a lower weight, lower center of gravity and mid-engine location going for it, but unless you change the suspension front and rear, and add 4 wheel discs and newer technology tires (and probably wheels), I give the edge to the Corvette.
    Dan

Well, of course it depends on how much you paid for your Mirage to start with...
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

It wouldn't be too expensive to simply install a C5/C6 suspension to the Mirage. At that point you've got the same base, but 500 kg lighter, a lower CG, and better weight distribution. $1200 for the entire suspension (Ebay) makes the remainder going to labor (if you paid someone else to do the work). I would think this could be well within comparable costs.

I was thinking that a fabricator could cost up to $10k to take the car apart, fabricate the front suspension, rear suspension with a new engine and gearbox and all. If I bought a C5 Z06 that was a salvage maybe I could use the suspension and engine and sell the remaining. I think I'd also need to rework the entire cooling system as well and I'm not sure how the downforce is at high speeds 150 mph+ which is what you can hit on the back straight at Road Atlanta in the Vette. Then the cost of new rims and tires so that they are track worthy. I was thinking a parts budget with engine transmission, suspension, brakes, cooling upgrades, steering box, $25k and another $25k in labor and probably 6 months down time in a shop.

Am I out of line high or low in any estimates?

I wouldn't know. My considerations to your comparison was limited to suspension upgrades (including the brakes), to basically give you the same platform, except it was a significantly lighter mid-engine. That in itself, even with less HP, would seem comparable. And then you have the uniqueness of the Mirage (who could pass that up ). Heck, an RCR product should be extremely fast, with a high 5-figure outlay.

Champion Member
    I have a C5, the Mirage has a big advantage being lower. Weight transfer is the enemy. Also the Mirage is very light weight and will have some good aero downforce going for it. It should be faster after some upgrades.

The vettes are well sorted out though.

I was thinking with my C6 Z06 the technology of anti lock brakes, traction control, brakes, etc for the money would be hard to beat on the track. The Manta would require I think a large budget as I can't fabricate to get it to a comparable lap time of the Z06.

Pole Position Member
    Sulley
    I don't know you or your performance driving capabilities.

My guess is that you will be able to push your C6 Z06 a long way before you find its limits, your limits and its best lap times.

The Corvette development guys put all their best stuff in the Z06, and they personally flog it much harder in testing on the track than they expect the majority of customers to be able to do on the track.

That said, they also help develop the race cars if the production car isn't quick enough for you...There should be some of those available now that the newest Corvette racers are competing....

I used to autocross my '69 L89 Corvette on the track at Waterford, Mi in the Corvette/Porsche Club events. I made many mods to suspension, wheels and tires, and the body flares to accommodate them. My lap times got significantly better each event I ran as I learned the track, the car, and adjusted my driving to take advantage of stuff I learned. I always felt the car had more capability than I had. I was the fastest of the street-driven cars, but still slower than the local SCCA race-prepared Corvettes of the day...

Enjoy the ride! Have fun!
    Dan

I agree that the Z06 is still outperforming me! I was just looking at the value of a Z06 compared to what it would take me to modify the Manta Mirage to have the same lap times. I think the Z06 is a hands down track value.