Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NASCAR sway bar install on the rear of the Mirage

Quote Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
    So will you be using hollow bars with HJ?
    Eventually. Here is a couple of photos of the links. The arms are massive aluminum pieces that I may carefully cut down to what would be a more appropriate size and strength. The links are 3/8" Heim joints attached to swedged aluminum tubing. The lower link slips over the end of the bolt through the upright, the upper link uses a couple of aluminum plates held in place by a couple of 1/4" bolts.

The hollow bars will be in a future change, as will the heavy uprights. Now that I know what works as far as fit, shape, and size, it's time to make some lighter pieces out of 7050 aluminum.

Below is the initial (much too complicated) link with the bracket sandwiching the swaybar arm. The reason I did that was to center the forces on the arm as much as was practical with the slight angle outward as the link drops to the upright. The above photo is a change I made after the below photo was taken, and after I tested that arm for any twisting weakness. I found that these aluminum arms are extremely rigid, so I decided to go ahead and off-center the Heim joint into a single shear mode (especially after looking at a GT40 MKIV rear bar with a very similar arrangement. This was the only spacer I could find in my box, so I need to get some shorter, and perhaps tapered spacers to strengthen this.

Simplicity is the nectar of racing.

Last edited by Blueovalz; 12-28-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Looking good!

Rookie Member
    Funny thing is that I would too. Perhaps next summer I can get some warm weather painting done here, and have this thing "finished" enough to where I can make this . improvements or enhancements as moretime and money permits.

WTF spam **** is imbedded in the above message? Reported.
    Last edited by Blueovalz; 10-16-2018 at 08:23 PM.