Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montage Door Hinges

Rookie Member

Montage Door Hinges

Hi

Does anybody have any close up detail shots of the door hinges on a Montage.

I am building an M6GT replica and have seen a few variations but the Montage set up looks neater.

Thanks

Andy

I have some of my Manta Mirage but not sure that really helps you.

Pole Position Member

The last one is inside the door. The hinges on my car look home made, or at least modified from some other hinge setup. It is not the best setup but it works as long as you are not trying to seal up the interior.

Rookie Member
    Rick

Thanks for the pictures.

Andy
    Tornado Sports Cars
    The Worlds Leading Manufacturer of Ford GT40 Replicas
    www.tornadosportscars.com

Rookie Member
    This is a different lower hinge that the one on my car, if you ever remove one of these, I would love to get ahold of it to make a copy. The previous owner also cut that curved tube for some reason, so now the I see what it looks like, I can fabricate new one.

Pole Position Member
    It is a pretty wobbly hinge and it doesn't work that well as built. The pivot on both of them is just a drilled hole with a bolt and nut for the hinge. The curved rod just has a notch carved on the end to fit the slot and a flat piece on the end welded on. It works good holding the door up as long as it isn't bumped, then it just drops on your head or hands if they are unlucky enough to be in the way. It also is bad to get broken when someone tries to just push the door down to close it. I plan on trying to put a gas strut on it somehow to hold it up. I will probably keep the curved rod and just close up the notch that locks it in place as an end stop to keep it from opening too far. If I get time I will get some pictures of it tonight since it is mostly apart right now.

Rookie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It is a pretty wobbly hinge and it doesn't work that well as built. The pivot on both of them is just a drilled hole with a bolt and nut for the hinge. The curved rod just has a notch carved on the end to fit the slot and a flat piece on the end welded on. It works good holding the door up as long as it isn't bumped, then it just drops on your head or hands if they are unlucky enough to be in the way. It also is bad to get broken when someone tries to just push the door down to close it. I plan on trying to put a gas strut on it somehow to hold it up. I will probably keep the curved rod and just close up the notch that locks it in place as an end stop to keep it from opening too far. If I get time I will get some pictures of it tonight since it is mostly apart right now.
    Thank, I will have to fabricate the curved piece, so if you can add some dimensions it would be helpful.

Pole Position Member

Here is the curved rod. It works OK as it is designed but like I said it is not a good setup since it is so easy for someone who doesn't know to lift the rod before closing the door to break by just trying to push it shut. I will most likely fill the notch in before putting it back on the car and set up a gas strut on the lower hinge to actually hold the door open.

Rookie Member
    Thanks, just what I needed to fabricate two news ones, or come up with something better.

Rookie Member
    New to the site.This info helped me understand how the doors stay up.My question is how do the doors open from the inside.The montage I purchased has no interior door handle.So they can only be opened from inside with the windows out.
    Go Fast,Take Chances