Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Black Mirage Build Diary

Stiffener Ribs

Good ol' Aircraft Spruce came through today with the longer Avex rivets that I had ordered so I was able to install the stiffener ribs in my sidepod access panel. I used blue goop to seal the joints to keep as much salt, debris, and water out as possible. Maybe tomorrow the Dzus tabs will arrive and I can put in those self-ejecting spring plates.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Access Panel Stiffener Riveted.jpg  
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Hose Clamps

UPS delivered my order of Gates Power Grip hose clamps yesterday and I installed a couple of them to see how they worked. These clamps are easy to install- crush the cardboard form and slip the clamp off, slide it over the tube/hose joint and use a heat gun to shrink it in place.

I'm impressed by how tight these clamps get. One advantage over worm drive or T-bolt clamps is that you won't slice off any skin with these. Nice for tight places where your hands need to work.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hose Clamp.jpg  
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

I would guess that if you don't have a lot of room, 360º around the tube for uniform shrinking, a clamp would be better in those really tight places.

Coolant Lines

Today I finished the coolant lines on the right side. They pass by the outside of the fuel tank support and will just fit under the fiberglass side pod. The hard line is 304 SS with both T-bolt clamps and Gates Power Grip shrink collars.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coolant Line R 3.jpg   Coolant Line R 1.jpg   Coolant Line R 2.jpg  
    Last edited by Manta22; 05-18-2015 at 10:06 AM.
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Champion Member
    Looks good. It looks like you will be done pretty soon.

Brakes

I mounted a brake proportioning control valve this morning. Maybe I can even out the F & R braking effort on salt, maybe not-- we'll see. The main high speed braking will be from a 'chute but I'd like to have a back-up. On the X-Mile events the brakes should be very effective but I'll use the 'chute as required.

I'd prefer to mount this control where it would be accessible from the cockpit but there was no good place for it without interfering with a quick bail- out. I don't want my fire suit catching on this knob (or anything else).

I drilled 1/4" holes in the side pod top panel and put in four 10-32 UNF stainless steel Rivnuts for the Phillips head titanium screws. The neat aluminum bracket was a piece of aircraft surplus that I bought a long time ago with the idea that it would be useful some day.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brake Proportioning Valve.jpg  
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Brakes

All my brake line is now plumbed as is the hydraulic clutch line. I used terne plated steel Bundy tubing- 3/16" brake & 1/4" clutch.

I installed a set of Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brake pads this afternoon. The big rear calipers & rotors are from a Porsche 928 S4 front brakes.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RR Brake Caliper.jpg  
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

At least the color is agreeable and matching!

Not sure what kind of fluid you are planning to use but I use Motul 660 on my track car.

Brake Fluid

Quote Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
    Not sure what kind of fluid you are planning to use but I use Motul 660 on my track car.
    Thanks, Sulley. I'll keep that in mind.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ