Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Black Mirage Build Diary

Grommetts

I ordered caterpillar grommets from Aircraft Spruce and tried putting it around a hole in a gusset where my oil pressure tubing passes through; the stuff is easy to install and it fits on tight. I'll order more for use around places where gusset edges might benefit from softer edges.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caterpillar Grommett.jpg  
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Fuel Cell

My fuel cell is now installed in the right side pod and most of the Avex rivets are installed in the panel; I need to temporarily remove a couple of things to get access to the remaining rivet holes.

The big hole in the rear is for a fire bottle. There are aluminum mounting clamps under the top panel.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuel Cell Installed.jpg  
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Champion Member
    Can you show some pictures of your transaxle, rear brakes, rear suspension?

Older Build Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Can you show some pictures of your transaxle, rear brakes, rear suspension?
    Sure, Jerry. Some of the pictures are older as you can tell by the chassis not being painted, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Porsche G50-01a.jpg   Pressure plate.jpg   Rear Anti-Roll Bar 1.jpg   Shift Linkage Shifter.jpg   Subframe 4.jpg  

Porsche 996 w 928 S4.jpg   Porsche 996 LR Upright 3a.jpg   New 5-link Right Rear.jpg   New 5-link Rear View 1.jpg   Mirage Driver's View a.jpg  

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

More Photos

More older photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hub & Rotor Remachined.jpg   DSC05472.jpg   LR Rotor & Caliper 2.jpg   DSC05471.jpg   Chassis- Coming Together.jpg  

Chassis Stressed Panel Clecos.jpg   Bassett Wheel 001a.jpg   Black Mirage- G50a.jpg   001.jpg  
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Champion Member
    Built for speed !

Great work !

Fire Ext

I finished plumbing the fire extinguisher system, both for the cockpit and for the engine bay. I used 1/4" 3003 aluminum tubing- what a joy to work with compared to steel brake line! It forms easily and flares nicely.

In the cockpit the tubing runs under the instrument panel so I added some braided sleeving to make sure nothing could make accidental contact with a hot 12 volt terminal. I did the same thing where the tubing runs by an external charging/battery connector. Shrink tubing over the cut ends of the braided sleeve keep it in place and add a nice cosmetic touch.

I'll show a couple of pictures.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extinguisher Plumbing 1.jpg   Extinguisher Plumbing 2.jpg  
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Neil it is coming along really nicely!

Champion Member
    Are you taking it to a salt flat soon ?

Bonneville Salt Flats

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Are you taking it to a salt flat soon ?
    Jerry;

That is a good question. Last year Speed Week was completely rained out. This year the salt was in such bad condition that there was not enough good salt surface to run on safely. Potash mining has slowly been destroying the salt flats and we are very angry at the Bureau Of Land Management for allowing this to happen. We are trying to publicize the problem to get a solution (no pun) in place.

California dry lakes racers have had a problem this year with El Mirage being too wet to race on. Maybe abandoned runways may be the future- who knows?

I'm busy right now getting my car ready for a big car show here in Tucson on the 17th of this month.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
    Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ