Thread: Cooler Fuel

Cooler Fuel

Once I got the project on the road, it became apparent, even on moderate temperature days (high 70's/low 80's), I would get vapor lock from fuel boiling in the surge tank. Closer review indicated:
    1) Lots of heat in a confined area with no air flow (engine bay) that is heating all the fuel lines, injector rails, etc.
    2) Lots of heat in the other confined area (box) that houses the water pump and HP fuel pump and filters (passenger side pod).
    3) Relative close proximity of the headers to one side to the surge tank (12"), causing a radiated heat problem.

Pressuring the surge tank will help (by dead-heading the LP pumps), but that is not the desired solution. Even though the LP pumps constantly circulate fuel between the main tanks and the surge tank, the fuel still gets very warm (or hot).

Solution:
    1) Opened up both side scoops on the back panel, and then ducted that air into the engine bay to force cooler air through the back. I must have helped being I feel hot air blowing against the back of my neck now.
    2) Vented the box housing the water pump and HP fuel pump. The water pump was the source of a lot of heat in this small confined box, so I vented it with 2.5" hose picking up fresh air at the front suspension pickup points, and then exiting the box near the HP fuel pump.
    3) Insulated fuel hoses in and around the engine bay
    4) Installed a small Setrab oil cooler (4 X 5), which is used to instead cool fuel prior to going to the fuel rails. This cooler is placed up next to the side vent ducting to force cool air through this cooler.
    5) Installed a couple of heat shields with insulation between the headers and the surge tank to reduce radiated heat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuel cooler duct .jpg   Fuel cooler 2.jpg   Fuel cooler 1.jpg  
    Last edited by Blueovalz; 05-15-2015 at 07:47 AM.

What about heat wrapping the headers as well. I did this and it cut down on my under hoods temps quite a bit.

I've had more than one person recommend that, but I spent a small country's GNP on fabrication and coating as well as time on these things. I ain't gonna wrap them and watch them corrode into dust before my eyes unless I have no other options. Stainless may have been a wiser choice back then, but that would have become a medium country's GNP if I'd done that.