Thread: Headlights

Pole Position Member

Headlights

I am not keen on using the pop-up lamps that were originally intended for the Mirage. I am fabricating some aluminum lamp "buckets" that will hold hi and low beam lamps as well as turn signals. Progress has been slow as the lamp openings in the body are not symmetrical.
    [ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 headlt buckets.jpg   2015 headlt 5.jpg   2015 headlt 4.jpg   2015 headlt 2.jpg   2015 headlt 1.jpg  

2015 headlt driver.jpg  

Nice. What lamps are you using? I'm struggling with the same concerns, but wondering about just redesigning the pop-up system to be manual with much smaller projector beam, or LED lighting instead. The reason for using the smallest component possible is so that I can locate it up on the fender as high as possible without tire interference when turning the tire on compression, along with the outside of turn body lean. I've also considered permanently fixing the lights in place, and then simply attach a removable painted cover to match the bodywork so that the door doesn't detract from the McLaren look.

Pole Position Member
    Terry
    I struggled with the same thing. I used Hella 90mm lamps. I bought their mounting plates, electrical connectors and mounting/adjusting screws. The supplier I used is Susquehanna Motorsports (www.rallylights.com)

The lamps can be mounted from the front or rear. Front mounting allowed me to place them high and rearward in the fender, while still giving tire clearance in turn and jounce. Even so, I had to move the housing forward in car to get adequate clearance. I bought some Lexan to make clear covers, but I like your idea of a removable painted piece as well. I may try that first and use the clear parts as an alternative.
    Dan