Thread: 2nd Generation Uprights

2nd Generation Rear Uprights

Needed to change the geometry just a bit, and lose some unsprung weight, so I'm working on a second set of uprights. These will again be steel fabrication, but using sheet steel instead of the square tubing I used in the first ones I built. After finishing up the first one, I've come to realize I could probably make the second set out of 12 and 14 gauge, rather than 11 and 12, thus saving a little more weight. As these sit, they are still 4 lbs lighter than the first set I built.

Last edited by Blueovalz; 01-06-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Pole Position Member
    Very nice!
    From the time of your post, it looks like Santa was up late/early to finish this for you!

Dan

Test fitting them to the car. 12 lbs in weight (4 lbs lighter than the old test-fit prototypes) that I built in order to get the car on the road. Eventually I will go with an aluminum billet upright, but I found through testing that I needed more camber gain during suspension travel, so before I spend a lot of money on the aluminum ones, I would instead try my hand with a sheet metal upright that was lengthened about 1" (upper arm moved up from axle centerline by about 1"). Going to the powder coater tomorrow to beautify these up a bit so they don't look so rough.

Last edited by Blueovalz; 12-30-2015 at 05:32 PM.

2nd Generation Rear Uprights

Powdercoated.

Last edited by Blueovalz; 02-10-2016 at 09:36 PM.

You are definitely an 'artist'!