Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelmark and XTC

Pole Position Member

Kelmark and XTC

Heres a few pics of my Kelmark & XTC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0055.jpg   000_0060.jpg   000_0053.jpg  

Pole Position Member
    I have the Kelmark disassembled at the moment putting floor pans and brake lines on and am going to put a different Vw engine in it. And it also needs repainted

Pole Position Member

1641 Engine for Kelmark

Heres the engine and tranny Im putting into the Kelmark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vw engine 001.jpg   vw engine 002.jpg  

Morgan that looks like a great project!

Rookie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Morgan View Post
    Heres a few pics of my Kelmark & XTC
    D Morgan, tell me about your Kelmark. I've see a few, since I can't seem to find a Montage, I'm looking at other designs, I've seen a couple the look like a decent price. VW cars, don't know if I might build a mid engine chassis and sell the VW chassis. Maybe I could do something with the car the way it is. Rotary, maybe? Porsche stuff is pretty spendy. Give me you input since you own one. I've also read about the Karma and Magnum as well.

Pole Position Member
    Well, like you MKHYTEK, Ive been unable to find and purchase A Manta, but as a teenager in the late 80's and a lot of looking through KitCar magazine, i grew very fond of the Kelmark GT. A couple of years ago I found one on Craigslist (Basic Standard VW Model).. at a real deal and purchased it. The car didnt have a motor, and the floorpans and frame head needed replaced, along with new wiring, brakes, and everything you can imagine of a car that has been sitting for several years. I have the body off the car now and am in the process of fixing the necessary things to make it a driver. (Not a show car by any means) I have everthing to redo just a matter of taking my time and putting it back together. I havent even driven the car so I cant really give you any accurate info on the handling and driveability of it. I am just going to go back with stock VW components in which the car came with.. But I do work long hours and dont have very much time to work on it, but it will get done eventually...

Rookie Member
    It's been a long time since I have driven a VW based kit car. As far as a Montage, or a Dino replica, I figured if I could not modify the VW platform to my satisfaction, I would design my own chassis and mid ship mount a V6 or V8 with a 5 speed. I could add the space for real seats, etc. So if I come across the right body, I would skip the VW process. It just may require me to buy the VW car to get a body, so to speak. My last VW was in the late 90's, a 72 Ghia. Was not too impressed with the Ghia though. I had owned a 87 Fiero GT V6 5 speed, so the Ghia was a letdown. I had thought about modding a Fiero , rebody, etc. My heart is in the Montage. I think I could make a Dino pretty sick also. I'll keep the search on.

Rookie Member
    D Morgan, I'm looking at a Factory built 1982 Kelmark GT, VW based. Sunroof and A/C. The guy started restoring it and crapped out. It's been painted black. Everything's there though. Running 1600 DP single carb motor. Gonna be a 900 mile trip one way though. Thoughts?

Go for it. Build it out one section at a time, replacing this for that, until you've replaced all the VW/OEM platform and other stuff with what you really want.
    Last edited by Blueovalz; 01-30-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Rookie Member
    That's kind of my thoughts. I can clean it up, drive it, and figure out if I would be happy modding the VW chassis/motor, like a rotary, or? It is a IRS pan with lowered spindles, etc. I could also build a tube chassis and mid motor, 4.3 v6, or LS, or? Then lift the body, and slowly build the new car. It gives me options, and something to mess with. Also, it's pretty cheap, out of pocket. I can always sell off the VW running gear. I'm selling off my motocross bikes, I'm down to the last one. Then I'll pull the trigger. A bit of a drive though. 900 miles one way. At least I have a nice truck to tow with. Road Trip!