Thread: Transmission help

Rookie Member

Transmission help

Has anyone completed 5/6 speed swap to a chev 350. Any help would be much appreciated.

The popular Porsche swaps were originally the 930 4-speed, followed by the 5-speed G50 versions (better synchronizers), followed by what appears to now be the Boxster S transaxles (5 and 6-speed?). If you don't plan on inverting the transaxle, then any of them would work. If you've got lots of money, there are other aftermarket transaxles available. Any of these swaps involves an aftermarket adapter, flywheel, and pressure plate, along with the clutch actuation. KEP (Kennedy Engineering Products) is usually the typical supplier for these adaptations. Then of course you'll need to modify the shift lever linkage arrangement. The 930/G50 transaxle shift patterns work well with the shift tube that the Manta uses, with some modification, but I have no idea what the Boxster/Cayman (G86?) transaxle shift pattern is like.

Pole Position Member
    The Boxster and Cayman both used a Porsche-developed cable shifter. I have two of these mechanisms, and had planned on adapting one for my Manta, but went to a (more costly) plan B. If you elect to go with a Porsche transaxle, I may be willing to sell one of the Porsche shifters--but you would have to configure it with Morse cables and brackets.

Ken

Rookie Member
    Sounds good I will do my research and let you know. I like the shifting of the 996/boxter much better then a G50 but for this application I'm sure would work just fine. I will also call a porsche transmission race shop they miight have a gear fix.

Pole Position Member
    Boxter s transmission will that raise the engine height? Not being inverted?