Thread: Montage Headlights in a Mirage

Montage Headlights in a Mirage

I've seen the picture on the Yahoo board of what looks like a Mirage with Montage headlights in it. Is anyone familiar with this car or how they did this? I kind of like the look of it myself. Maybe incorporate HID lighting.

Pole Position Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
    I've seen the picture on the Yahoo board of what looks like a Mirage with Montage headlights in it. Is anyone familiar with this car or how they did this? I kind of like the look of it myself. Maybe incorporate HID lighting.
    I'm guessing the pic you've seen is Bill Edison's red Mirage. He did a great job, working "from scratch" to build those buckets and the acrylic covers. In David Savage's www.mantacars.com registry, Bill had a link to his build page (I don't know if it still exists), in which he gives a step-by-step on his bucket build. You might want to try to visit that link.

Parenthetically, a number of folks updated their original Montage headlights with the buckets (which I think you are referring to....) supplied by David Savage a while back. There was discussions about making another set of buckets and covers for the Mirage, but to the best of my knowledge, nothing ever came of that.

Ken

Pole Position Member
    I'm guessing you are referring to Bill Edison's red Mirage in that picture. Bill did a great job, in building those buckets and acrylic covers "from scratch". Lots of work involved. In the mantacars.com Registry, Bill had a link to another page, in which he detailed the build of the buckets and covers. I don't know if that link is still active (you might want to check), but it had a wealth of good info.

You refer to the "Montage headlights". Actually, the Montage buckets and covers were sold by David Savage, as a retrofit to the (ugly, in my mind....) original Manta company design. There was some discussion (over time) about fabbing another set of buckets designed for the Mirage, but (to the best of my knowledge) that never developed.

I'm considering doing a scratch-build mod to my Mirage, using 90mm (about 3-75" Hella Hi beam, low beam, and fog) lights.....but like so many other things, it's an issue of finding the time to do so.

I found him on the registry. Here is the link. His webpage isn't working. Maybe I'll try to email him and see if he has the write up.

http://mantacars.com/Mantaregistryindex.html

Rookie Member
    I've also got a Mirage with Montage buckets. Unfortunately I have very little historical info on this car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MantaEric.jpg