Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage build information

Rookie Member

Mirage build information

Hello all

A message from the UK

Does the Mirage have a chassis number which can be tied back to factory records, in order to ascertain the year of manufacture ?

or am i being optimistic ?!

Regards

Rookie Member
    I found My Manta Montage build tag behind the engine below the gas tank.It has a place for a serial# stamping,but is blank.That leaves me think that they just used the data from the donor chassis
    Go Fast,Take Chances

Rookie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbyte427 View Post
    I found My Manta Montage build tag behind the engine below the gas tank.It has a place for a serial# stamping,but is blank.That leaves me think that they just used the data from the donor chassis
    I have had 5 kits and non of them had numbers stamped on the frame..

My chassis (well, its a number, but not on the chassis) number was cast in the fiberglass front shell in the divot where the lower door hinge resided. Manta followers indicate this is a chassis number even though it was not stamped anywhere I could find, on the frame.

Rookie Member
    Thanks for the comments

So, to summarise, when I try and register my Mirage with the UK authorities, i will struggle as they will no doubt ask me to prove the age of the car.

This was easy before when i imported a Lotus Esprit as I had the factory records to tie back to the chassis number - but not this time !

I admire your attempt to pass an IVA with a Manta product. Even though these were a notch up from the typical American kit-car, I can't image anything less than an incredible effort for the Mirage to pass the IVA.

Pole Position Member
    The only number on mine is on a vin tag from manta and it is attached to the frame/roll bar section behind the driver's seat in the engine compartment.

Rookie Member
    That is because Manta built your car. It was not home built.

Rookie Member
    I also have a vin tag attached to the frame/roll bar, beginning "14048..."

Does this mean mine is a factory built car - is there any way of translating the vin tag into the history of the car ?

My Mirage is now road legal in the UK, but am still waiting to hear if I can register it on the US title or will need further tests to be actually able to drive it, gulp...

Not sure I understand. "...is now road legal" implies that you are able to drive it now in the UK, so it must have passed the IVA? So what is the concern of registering it on the US title, or I guess, why would you want to?