Thread: Fuel tank location in a mid-engine Montage?

Rookie Member

Fuel tank location in a mid-engine Montage?

Ok, I'm getting closer to getting started on my conversion from a VW powered tail hanging car to a mid-engine V8 car. On a mid-engine car, the engine is in the approximate same location as the fuel tank on the VW pan model. So I was wondering where people are putting the fuel tank on their mid-engine cars?

Corky

Rookie Member
    What chassis are you using with the V8 upgrade? I've seen tanks hanging off the rear of the frame, and I've seen tanks up front. The real M6gt has the tanks (2), one in each pod next to driver and passenger. If it were mine I'd order a custom fuel cell and put it up front for better balance, it will help handling.

Rookie Member
    I am building a chassis that was designed in Australia to replace the pan frame on a VW bug, so it is intended to use the current gas tank in the Bug body. Today I saw a mid-engine car (longitudinal, not transverse) that place the tank at the very back of the chassis. That is probably where I will install mine.

Rookie Member
    That seems to be the easy way. The reason I would put a cell up front is to place the weight over the front wheels. Everything in back makes the car understeer. I guess it depends also just what you are doing with the car. If you are doing this with a Montage, I would consider cutting your front end so it tilts forward. Joe Penko makes the firewall part to make this process easier. I'd add the front vent for the radiator, and put the dual headlights in it. Then you'd be bad ass! Post up some Pictures!

Pole Position Member
    He actually has a nose and firewall from me. But thanks for the mention!
    Now you're cookin'!!!

Rookie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MKHYTEK View Post
    That seems to be the easy way. The reason I would put a cell up front is to place the weight over the front wheels. Everything in back makes the car understeer. I guess it depends also just what you are doing with the car. If you are doing this with a Montage, I would consider cutting your front end so it tilts forward. Joe Penko makes the firewall part to make this process easier. I'd add the front vent for the radiator, and put the dual headlights in it. Then you'd be bad ass! Post up some Pictures!
    From a safety point, I don't think that I would put one up front (say a person who currently drive a Porsche Boxster S). Like Joe said, I have those parts.

Rookie Member
    built a custom tank behind cockpit sits just under front of engine,i dont have any pics of it yet.

What about the Montage (especially with all the work being put into this project) prevents a modified frame that uses side tanks similar to what was used on the Mirage?

Rookie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueovalz View Post
    What about the Montage (especially with all the work being put into this project) prevents a modified frame that uses side tanks similar to what was used on the Mirage?
    That could be done but would have to design it that way from the get go, I was already too deep to go that route.