Thread: Vw suspension to IFS Mustang II

Pole Position Member

Vw suspension to IFS Mustang II

Iam Looking at a Manta Mirages and have seen a couple with Vw suspensions , and my question is do they make a bolt on kit for the Mustang2 suspension or other IFS ?? or Is it easier to just start over with new frame. chassis ?
    Has anyone gone from VW to something else ?

Thanks Lee

There are several that have gone to unequal length A-arm or similar suspension designs, of which the Mustang/Pinto being the most popular. All entail some degree of cutting/removing portions of the OEM Mirage frame, and welding in a sub-frame or suspension supporting brackets.

Pole Position Member
    Are there kits or do most people fab their own?
    I see a lot of talk about the use of Corvette components c4 or 3 etc..

There are a wide range of kits, to individual components, for the Ford conversion, and it all depends on the amount of time, skills, tooling, etc. on which approach you would take. I went all-out and built out my own set-up using Heim joints, swaged tubes, fabricated ball-joint plates, C4 uprights, and fabricated lower arms for mine. Other's I have seen simply use the entire Ford suspension with brackets and spring perches all welded to a modified OEM framing, so it comes in all fashions and designs. Google Manta Mirage Front Suspension, and then look at the images. You'll start seeing the various ideas I've noted.

Pole Position Member
    Thanks Terrry I'll look into that!