Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montage Build Thread, really just mechanical renewal

Pole Position Member

Montage Build Thread, really just mechanical renewal

First thing I cleaned up the Montage Type T from its long hibernation and spent lots of time assessing the car. I don't believe this car was driven more than around the block since initial assembly back in the 80s. I've posted some pics of the Citation V6/4 spd with Manta supplied header kit, Mustang 11 frt end installation done by the original owner per the Build Manual. Cool Edelbrock aluminum intake and Holley 4 bbl on it. Looks like a set of Autometers came with the car. Speedo and Tach have the center stickers. Car also has the big rear booty bolted on, trunk rack and trunk. Motor was not seized after all. Regardless it's coming out for more HP mounted longitudely. I have a lot of questions for the Manta experienced here. I value many different opinions.

Are the little slits behind the sideglass the only way to get fresh air to the mill? I see on McLaren M6FTs they are opened up and I'm wondering if anyone feels it's worth opening them up on our Montages? Gonna have to get fresh air into my mill somehow. Any other ideas for air, I'm gonna be running a supercharger back there.

Your take on opening up the scoops in front of the rear wheels and routing air somehow to the brakes?

Is the little black lever behind the driver's LH elbow the release for the rear clamshell? I've posted pics. No cables behind there on my car / the bottom catches are there but the catch posts sticking down from the front corners of the clamshell were never installed. Are these hood catches sourced from some 70s/80s car/truck? If anyone has some pics and measurements it would be very helpful...nothing in the build manual about them.

What's your take on those Monza tail lights? Any suggestions for something more McLaren maybe?

Is that Manta built square tubing rear twin A arm suspension okay to run?

My car has the headlight covers squeezed into the light recesses. Friction holding them in. Got to think of some way to retain and open them.

It's great we have a forum for these cars and this newbie in Manta land values your opinions. I have built a lot of cars but this is new territory and I want to do right for the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_6469.jpg   100_6470.jpg   100_6476.jpg   100_6477.jpg   100_6480.jpg  

100_6484.jpg   100_6487.jpg   100_6486.jpg   100_6468.jpg  
    Last edited by marfen; 01-20-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Pole Position Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181227_155707.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	933better view of my dash

Pole Position Member
    If you ever want to get rid of the Monza tail lights I will take them. Looks like you have a great car to start with and I am sure it will only get better!
    Now you're cookin'!!!

Pole Position Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteX View Post
    If you ever want to get rid of the Monza tail lights I will take them. Looks like you have a great car to start with and I am sure it will only get better!
    Absolutely I will give you a headsup and will be getting a hold of you shortly for some parts you make!

Pole Position Member
    Out with the old.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6491.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	938

Pole Position Member
    the manta header kitClick image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6492.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	939

Pole Position Member
    More pictures please! Tear down and build photos are the best!
    Now you're cookin'!!!

Pole Position Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190108_195832.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190112_180305.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190113_171802.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	952still cleaning up everything out back to make room for new combination

Pole Position Member
    not sure what to do about rear suspension and uprights as I will be going to 930 cvs to a porsche 6 gear transaxle. more research.

Pole Position Member
    Wow! You are really moving along! Do you have a finish by date?
    Now you're cookin'!!!