Thread: Manta Mustang ii: any recommended modifications? dropped spindles, control arms etc?

Pole Position Member

Manta Mustang ii: any recommended modifications? dropped spindles, control arms etc?

Looking closely at my mustang ii front end on my montage which has stock parts with the Manta recommended Koni coil overs, Pinto R/P. I will be changing out the brakes, rack and steering column. While I'm at it I'd appreciate any recommendations for the upper control arms and spindles while I am planning out my strategy for the front end. Should I be looking at the 2" dropped spindles and adjustable tubular uppers?

Hard to answer that question. You've got a good understanding of the car, so when the car is at the ride height you want it, is the geometry of the arms acceptable? Or another way to look at it is to set the ride height to where you think the geometry of the arms is acceptable, and then see if the ride height needs to be changed (lowered). That would be where I would start. I've no experience on the Manta Pinto/Mustang II front end, so I don't know where the pivot points are for the arms (where they attach to the frame), or if they used OEM spindles, or even if they used 1" drop spindles (which I think were available during that period).

Terry
    Last edited by Blueovalz; 02-23-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Pole Position Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueovalz View Post
    Hard to answer that question. You've got a good understanding of the car, so when the car is at the ride height you want it, is the geometry of the arms acceptable? Or another way to look at it is to set the ride height to where you think the geometry of the arms is acceptable, and then see if the ride height needs to be changed (lowered). That would be where I would start. I've no experience on the Manta Pinto/Mustang II front end, so I don't know where the pivot points are for the arms (where they attach to the frame), or if they used OEM spindles, or even if they used 1" drop spindles (which I think were available during that period).

Terry
    thx Terry, good advice as always.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_6480.jpg  

Pole Position Member
    car was up on the floor jack when the pic was taken thus the control arm orientation

These set-ups are pretty decent and take advantage of the tried and true unequal length control arm benefits. While your looking around at the front geometry, take a gander at the rack positioning and geometry. All the work in the world on the front arm geometry can be frustrated by incorrect rack length/positioning causing bumpsteer issues. Fortunately, there is a lot of Pinto/Mustang II aftermarket support.