Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member from Melbourne, Australia

Rookie Member

New Member from Melbourne, Australia

Hi All,

After some issues with the registration process, I finally made it onto this website (I was a bit frustrated and also started up a Facebook group for Manta owners, for those that might be interested).

I'm in my late 20's and have had a bit to do with modified cars since I bought my first Holden Torana (Australian mid-sized car from the 70's) at the age of 14, and I've had Manta Mirage's on the "need to own" list since I watched Gone in 60 Seconds at a similar age.

I'm still very deep into another car project with a lot of custom fabrication work at the moment, but I have managed to get my hands on the next project car. Well... in-fact, I tracked a few down and am spending my weekends and dollars transporting them to Melbourne from around this very large country. This is the first one below:

Bit of a basket case, but a fair bit of the car is there. I should be able to make it into something!

Cheers,

Heath

Pole Position Member
    Glad to see you made it on board here on the forum! I dont have facebook to follow your group but please post pics and I'll follow you here and on YouTube!

Welcome to the site. We've got lots of folks here that can help you with the restoration, or whatever your vision is for your new project! Keep us updated on the progress, and photos are always welcomed.

Terry

Pole Position Member
    Hezath... Welcome on board! When you get around to doing bodywork on that Manta, I understand if you mix Vegemite with Bondo you can get a really strong body filler! Us other "fair dinkum" builders are glad to have an Aussie join the group..... Will your car be right-hand or left-hand drive? (Looks as though the dash has already been modified for right-hand.)

What are you going to run as a powerplant (Holden?) and transaxle?

P.S. I spent 14 months enjoying(?) Woomera, South Australia. New Years Day at 45 degrees C was a new experience for me......

Rookie Member
    Hahaha, hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome. I have seen a bit of content on each of your project cars already and I'm already enjoying each of your contributions.

Yes, this chassis has been configured as a RHD vehicle already. All of the others I've seen are LHD. I haven't quite decided which is better, although I suspect with RHD I can set up a dead pedal effectively (not sure I will need a foot rest in a car with such body-hugging seats though... From a legality perspective, the choice is mine.

I already have a red hot Holden V8 (coincidentally also 383ci, although it's certainly not an SBC) lined up for my Torana, so I will probably stick with the Chev motor in the Manta, and probably the standard transaxle honestly. I realise that the suspension geometry isn't very sophisticated, but I've heard some reports that they work okay. Are LSD's available? Is the Corvair transaxle nice to shift, and strong enough for a reasonable motor?

Rookie Member
    Ken
    Welcome, I have a 350 with a corvair and when time permits definitely looking to upgrade to a porsche transaxle. My first choice is a Cayman depending on HP.

Rookie Member
    Thanks Ken.

And what are the main reasons for wanting to change the transaxle in your case?

I think they are alluding to the lack of strength behind any moderately powered SBC. The Cayman is a good upgrade, and in my humble opinion, next would be the G50/50, and then the 930 for ultimate strength (from used Porsche transaxles). Each has their benefits and distractors.

Pole Position Member
    I'm running the Porsche 930 transaxle, as is Blueovalz (Terry).

I needed something relatively bullet proof to run behind a twin-turbo's SBC. It's said the 930 is good for up to 700 ft/lbs of torque. (Let me get my sliderule, and I'll convert that to Newton/Meters....!)

In addition, with some minor case vent/drain mods, the 930 works very well inverted, which lowers your center of mass (better handling). They also can come with ZF or Quaife limited slip....and (as a popular race car item) have quite a few gearsets available. Mine is geared for about 200+ MPH top end, but my personal cajones will max out well before that speed!

Downfall to the 930? Good ones are becoming rare, and for that reason, are quite pricey.

Rookie Member
    Understood. I can certainly see the appeal in a more exotic rear suspension system, and a tougher gearbox.

I must be honest... I'm keen to do a bit of nice fabrication work on the car, but running it with the Corvair gearbox (maybe with a few modifications to help it along) is probably my plan. Am I wasting my time?