Thread: Corvair to Porsche trans 930

Pole Position Member

Question Corvair to Porsche trans 930

Hey guys I was wondering when some of you swapped from Corvair to Porsche transaxles, was it necessary to rotate the transmission because of axle problems? or getting the drivetrain as low as you can go into the chassis?

If you would have left the Porsche trans. in the normal position and flip the R&P would the motor be in the same position/ height as the Corvair Saginaw ?

Thanks

Lee

Can't directly answer your quetions, but can offer this. I inverted my Porsche T/A for a couple of reasons, which were to get the axles fairly horizontal, and to lower the engine by 6". Had I not done that, I don't think the engine would have fit under the rear panel. But having done that, I had to resort to a dry-sump system. One might think, "well then, just lower the assembly as a whole", but the bellhousing/adapter plate is at an appropriate height without inverting, so that prevents lowering the assembly as a whole.
    Last edited by Blueovalz; 12-22-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Champion Member

X axles

Quote Originally Posted by Blueovalz View Post
    Can't directly answer your quetions, but can offer this. I inverted my Porsche T/A for a couple of reasons, which were to get the axles fairly horizontal, and to lower the engine by 6". Had I not done that, I don't think the engine would have fit under the rear panel. But having done that, I had to resort to a dry-sump system. One might think, "well then, just lower the assembly as a whole", but the bellhousing/adapter plate is at an appropriate height without inverting, so that prevents lowering the assembly as a whole.
    I can't answer directly either. I just know the following and don't know how this affects height or engine or transaxle.
    The Corvair transaxle is flipped because a Corvair is a rear engine car. If you want to use a Porsche transaxle from a rear engine Porsche like a 911 you will need to flip it for the mid engine Manta also. The Porsche Boxster is a mid engine car so if you use that transaxle it stays the same.

There are adaptors for the Boxster, and the Audi engines bolt to the Boxster transaxles without the need of $3K worth of adaptors and clutch, etc.

Renegade Hybrids loves the Boxster S transaxle and the LS engine.

The Porsche Boxster S is a 6 speed. and can handle more power.

More details about these:

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEa...uJaClviv8nxfKA ( 914 budget outlaws )

http://www.motorwerksracing.com/pors...rsion-18t-swap
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-09-2021 at 11:56 PM.