Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New owner!

Rookie Member

New owner!

Hi, folks! I am a new Montage owner, and looking forward to the joys and fun of owning this unique car. I have purchased the car described by Jimmyd in cars for sale, posted in December. There is a discussion of the Porsche transaxle, described as a 4 speed. It is in fact, a 915 model transaxle, 5 speed. The shift linkage was so bad, that the fifth gear was almost unfindable, and the seller, I'm sure, never knew there were five speeds. The wiring worked just well enough that it would run, but nothing else worked, and required a complete rewire. The engine appears to be a 383 stroker, but horsepower will probably be forever unverified. The whole car has been used hard, and little maintained. I am a collector of cars, with considerable experience, and will put things to right, eventually.

This car is, I believe, the "T" model, midengine with a tube spaceframe. Maybe factory assembled? How can I tell? And it is titled as a 1966 Volkswagen. Is this common? Rear suspension and brakes appear to be Corvette, but I do not recognize the front. Any thoughts, anyone?

I live in Sioux Falls, SD in the summer, and in Peoria, AZ in the winter. The car will likely follow me around, at least until I get it into decent condition. Visitors to either place are welcome.

Congratulations on the purchase. Mechanical photos may help identify the front brakes. Looking forward to seeing everything put "right".

Terry
    Last edited by Blueovalz; 06-05-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Pole Position Member
    Congratulations! What better way to show pride in new ownership than to post a few pictures! A starting point for your Montage journey!

Joe
    Now you're cookin'!!!

Rookie Member
    Congratulations and welcome

Rookie Member
    I will certainly post some pics. Right now, it is in the body shop, getting some body minor body damage repaired and a decent paint job on it. Meanwhile, I am in need of a back window/backlight. Anywhere I can get one?

Rookie Member

Pics of Manta

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0814201124.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	1102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0814201123.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	1103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0814201124.jpg 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	1102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0814201123.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	1103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0814201124a.jpg 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	1104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0814201124b.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	1105

Rookie Member
    Submitted some pics of my Manta. New paint job, new wiring, lots of work done. Those of you who saw it in jimmyd's post saw that it was a 383 stroker. It is, in fact, a 327. Still a potent engine in its day. Haven't driven it much yet, just a few quick test drives to work the bugs out of the engine. I installed new seats, so I have the originals if anyone needs them. Still looking for a rear window.

Rookie Member
    Pics of the front and rear suspension. Can anyone help identify them?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0806200840.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	1106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0806200841.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	1107

Pole Position Member
    It's kind of hard to tell from the singe pics and the angles but looks like mustang2 front and a corvair swing arm in the rear?

Pole Position Member
    well I take that back, not sure on the rear