Thread: Question for Mirage experts

Rookie Member

Question for Mirage experts

Are their 2 different wheelbases available? If so, why did they make 2 different versions? Are their more of one type than the other? Thanks, Ron.

Pole Position Member
    Well I'm no expert but what I've discovered researching and building my own is that I know of two main versions of the front suspension, some with a VW bug style from suspension and others with a "mustang 2" style front suspension (some have built cars with other geometry as well). Seems like things started with the VW style then changed to the mustang 2 style at some point. I think mustang 2 gives more options for shocks, springs, brakes and probably handles better as well. I've also heard the VW front end has less leg room but not 100% sure on that one.

Rookie Member
    I know about the different front ends but I mean the physical length of the car or at least the wheelbase spacing. Look at these two pics to see the difference.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08B526B7-94DD-4B22-8D1A-ADC34B8DC70E.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	1184

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7623389E-1F18-4FCF-B6B8-3F806F712BDA.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	1185

Pole Position Member
    I think that car in the first photo looks short just because of the way the photo is formatted, I've looked at a lot of pics and haven't noticed any major differences. Looking at the original factory photos, and even the car in the original gone in 60 movie, that front end is pretty long. I've only physically been around two mirages and they looked the same but I did stumble across one build where the guy shortened the front

Champion Member
    I don't think you can change the wheelbase much or you would need to modify the body for it.
    I have heard of vw vs Mustang 2 suspension.

Also

There are two chassis configurations, 1 is short and 1 is long, but that only applies to the pedal box. I think the longer was second, and just fits taller drivers.
    It may or may not have been a factory option.

Jerry