One of the ideas I have been thinking about for my Montage is to figure out how to make the back not a big one piece design and instead split it into fixed fenders and a smaller trunk lid. The reasoning is that there is a lot of wasted space in the trunk lid since the whole area in front and behind the wheels is mostly taken up with the latches and stuff. If the center area opened up like a normal trunk lid somehow, that would give a huge amount of extra working space in the car. It would even let me have a bit of room for a small storage space and maybe even a spare tire in the back. The main reason I am thinking of doing this is part of my eventual plan is to add an electric drive to the car and I need somewhere to fit 108V of batteries. With the large area in front and behind the back tires it would be real easy to find the room to mount them.

One thing that would make it a bit easier on my car at least is that I have the roll bar going right up against the trunk lid in the little back window so I could attach a hinge to that part easily and not have to worry about the trunk getting destroyed from not closing it properly and driving off. Cutting up the trunk lid would be a huge amount of work but in the long run it would probably be worth it. Anyone got any ideas?